Bird & Sunrise photo

Bird & Sunrise photo
Because "someday" is today!

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Testing the Palette



Glowing Poppies ©2016 Tina M.Welter, photo of scarlet poppies with green background.

Last summer I was inspired by the gorgeous poppies in the neighborhood. They were just glowing with color and I wanted to bring some of that vivid scarlet intensity into our apartment. I envisioned a painting of these beauties hanging on the wall over the tv. 

Plus, I thought the poppies would fit really well into the color scheme of the apartment. This Kandisky print hangs over the dining area.

"Color study, Squares with Concentric Circles" Print over the dining room table, ©1913 Kandinsky
"Color study, Squares with Concentric Circles" Print, ©1913 Wassily Kandinsky
Colors on the chairs and curtains in the living room.
I also wanted to attempt documenting my whole process of painting the poppies for a video to share. Setting up for recording the video over time was trickier than I thought it would be, but that was nothing compared to all the editing needed after shooting the video. Yikes, I was intimidated! I filed away all that footage and hoped for increased courage and more time to deal with it in the future.

Well, surprise, almost a year later I did get the rare gift of more time! To boost my courage, I decided to try editing just the first part, where I mix my colors and choose my palette. I have mentioned before how much I love mixing colors, but it is also a key step that helps me feel less anxious about starting a new painting. It's like I have part of the map to where I am going. I definitely recommend it if you find yourself spinning your wheels and uncertain about where to start.

Some of you kindly asked for more video of my paintings and music after seeing the "Blue Iris". Thank you, your encouragement also helped me face my inner 'fraidy cat. I am pleased that I could figure out how to compress 22 minutes of video footage into 2:36 minutes to share with you.

 Palette test, a short video of my color choosing process.

>^-^<
Tina

No comments: